Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My bank account is empty. And I don't get paid for another week.



It appears that $50 doesn't get you very far these days. Just yesterday I spent $50 at the gas station and, no, I didn't go into the mini mart. It probably would've cost me more like $53 and change to actually fill my tank but since I have this weird habit of always needing to stop the pump on an even amount of money, it only cost me $50.

50 dollars?!?! Did I mention I drive a Mini Cooper, not an SUV?

If only cars ran on tears.

I'm also finding it near impossible to leave the grocery store without dropping at least $50. No, we don't have any kids and, no, we're not obese.

Can anyone tell me why my salary isn't increasing as rapidly as the cost of gas and groceries?

What exactly does $50 get me nowadays?


  • A cute top from Anthropologie

  • 2 tickets to the Kooks show at the Paradise before it was sold out

  • A haircut (color and tip not included)

  • 6 burritos from Mambo Grill

  • 15 Americanos at Starbucks

  • 4 CDs at Newbury Comics

  • 5 bottles of Fat Bastard

  • 10 cheap-o trendy bracelets at Forever 21

  • 5 tickets to the midnight opening of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Chrystal Skull (I now realize this is a huge WASTE of $50)

  • 15 months worth of birth control

  • 1 1/2 cases of Raspberry UFO

  • 10 On Demand movies

  • 5 weeks of membership at my gym

  • 4 bags of dog food

  • 1 right field box seat at Fenway
What $50 cannot buy me...


  • A trip to the groomer for Little Jerry

  • An oil change (synthetic, of course)

  • 2 tickets for the previously mentioned sold out Kooks show

  • A week's worth of groceries for me and my husband

  • A new sweater from J. Crew

  • A roundtrip Southwest Airlines flight from Manchester, NH to Baltimore, MD (like it did 3 years ago when we went to Camden Yards for a Sox game)

  • A great bottle of tequila

  • A "ticket" to a retirement party for 4 colleagues I barely even know

  • A month's worth of cell phone service

  • A perfect-fitting pair of jeans

  • A 1-day lift ticket at a local ski resort

  • Guitar Hero
  • A one-year subscription to Us Weekly

  • A passport

  • A decent pair of shoes

  • 2 ink cartridges (black and color) for my printer

  • A Friday night out

1 comment:

Amber said...

Love your road signs, lol!