Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Face It, A.C., You're Not Making a Comeback.


Ah...Memorial Day weekend. It's all about BBQing, drinking, playing lawn games, getting eaten by mammoth mosquitoes and shooting the sh** with your friends. A summer tease that makes me dread going back to work on Tuesday is what it is. Uh, what exactly is it that we are memorializing again? Just kidding.

With potato salad and 12-packs in hand, we went to our first cookout of the weekend on Sunday. And while many of our high school friends have now produced offspring, it's comforting to know that we can still immerse ourselves in nonsensical conversations. I mean, really, who wants to talk about mortgages, Hillary & Barack, the economy, how much it costs to build a fence or who has a bigger backyard when we can question why Mario Lopez made the list of top ten sexiest celebrity abs?

Much to my delight, it was someone other than me who initiated this conversation. It was actually my friend, Liz, who informed us that A.C. Slater made Life and Style magazine's list of top ten sexiest abs. Her reaction? The same as mine: "Seriously, they couldn't find anyone better? How about David Beckham?"

Now, please don't get the wrong idea, I'm not into "hot bodies" the way that I used to be; I can assure you that the days of me ripping shirtless photos of Jordan Knight, Kirk Cameron and Jonathan Brandis out of Bop and Teen Beat and taping them to my bedroom walls are long over. But Mr. Mullet, himself? I know it's an "ab" contest but they didn't put bags over any of their heads, did they? Shouldn't looks, style, career and reputation count for something in this contest? In all "celebrity" contests, for that matter? If your answer is "no", ask your subconscious.

But before we question why A.C. Slater made this list, I'd prefer to know why he's still in the public eye. I hear that he has a new book out - something about fitness. Is anyone going to buy it? Well, I guess they will now that he's on the list of sexiest celebrity abs. Suckers.


Here are some of the more qualified contenders...

(sorry, guys, I didn't include any girls on this list but feel free to Google Marissa Miller)


My personal fave...





Apparently now that he and Angie are together, he no longer poses shirtless...




A bit young...




His abs are in the center of the photo, ladies...

Best all around...




And I guess I'll give it to McConaughey...


you can imagine how difficult it was to find a photo of him shirtless...


I believe, on our way home from a second cookout on Monday, I made a pretty good argument as to why Memorial Day Weekend should be Memorial Day Week from now on. Unfortunately, I don't really remember the crux of my argument.

2 comments:

Amber said...

LOVED Jonathan Brandis, too bad he killed himself...OH MY re: Ryan Renald's (sp?) abs...no wonder Alanis has gained 50lbs!!

Unknown said...

THAT was Ryan Reynolds? I totally had to go back and do a double take! I can't believe I missed this conversation! stupid furthering my professional career by taking an educational work trip...