Tuesday, August 19, 2008

More Random Thoughts on the Olympics...

Well, we are now into the second week of the Olympics and most of the exciting events are behind us. I do have some additional thoughts as they begin to wind down...

1. Like the rest of the world, I did not believe that Michael Phelps won a 7th gold medal in the 100m butterfly, but this underwater snapshot from SI.com is proof that he pulled this victory out of his ass. The touchboard doesn't lie.

As Matt said, this is just one reason why he should thank god for those freakishly long swimmer's fingers.

2. I have no idea what is going on with the gymnastics judging but Nastia Liukin was robbed of a gold medal on the parallel bars the other night. The Chinese girls, in addition to being underage, are winning medals they don’t deserve. Bob Costas keeps reminding us that just because the Olympics are held in China, doesn’t mean there are a greater number of Chinese judges. But Bob, there ARE other methods of cheating in the Olympics.

3. Table Tennis – Man I thought I could hold my own in a game of “ping pong” but, after watching these guys, I now realize I suck.

4. Even though he's Swiss, I found myself rooting for Roger Federer in the gold medal doubles tennis match. It probably wasn't as sweet as winning the gold in singles but, hey, good for him...and his partner, whatever his name is, must've been psyched to be along for the ride.

5. As I watched Alicia Sacramone choke, yet again, in the women's vault event finals, I couldn't help but notice that one of the other gymnasts (from Italy) gave her an awkward triple kiss when she completed her 2 vaults. Did anyone else see this? Apparently other people noticed it as well because it did make its way to YouTube. I wanted to post the video here, but it appears as though it's been removed...I wonder why...

6. I still haven't been able to find any javelin coverage...
Matt just sent me a link...apparently Leryn Franco was eliminated from the Olympics on Tuesday after failing to qualify for the javelin finals. Too bad. I'm sure NBC will see their ratings for track and field plummet. And the world won't be seeing a Leryn Franco Olympic calendar any time soon.

7. Men's Basketball is a joke...YAWN.

8. I need to become a hurdler so I can have a body like this...


9. I just finished watching the women's balance beam event finals. Although Nastia came in 2nd, I was so happy to see Shawn Johnson win a gold. Now they're each going home with 3 silvers and 1 gold. And I give you the non-chokers of the women's gymnastics team...

10. Believe it or not, the name Chrystl Bustos is uttered A LOT in my house. And here's why. Can you imagine playing softball against this woman?!?!

11. Did anyone happen to catch the trampoline? Yes, it is an olympic event and, yes, it is hilarious. You should see how high these girls jump. I don't know how they do it. I'm not sure I can even jump on a trampoline without peeing my pants. Seriously, it's happened to me twice.

3 comments:

Amber said...

I completely agree with the hurdles comment...damn, I need to start hurdling, do you think it's too late??

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked you don't want to start to throw the javelin. I have my own issues with the coverage this year (ie... Women's Gymnastics is taped and held over for 2 days not allowing you to read, listen or watch any media outlet and they STILL air the events at 11:30pm) why hasn't anyone pitched the idea of a set of all Olympic channels? Even if it is a PPV idea how much could it cost? $15 for the two weeks... definitely worth it.

Anonymous said...

I decided to shut the tv off the other night after watching two trampolinists (ers?)...I think what did me in was the fact that one girl jumped for like 20 minutes before she started her "routine".

I'm also really glad that I don't have Nastia's hairline.