Thursday, June 12, 2008

Not For Love of the Game


I went to work today...saw 6 Celtics shirts.

After work I went to the gym...saw 3 Celtics shirts.

Then I went to the grocery store...saw 2 Celtics shirts.

That's more Celtics shirts in 1 day than I've seen in the past 10 years!

What I can't escape more than Celtics shirts, though, are the complaints about the 9 pm tipoffs. If I hear one more person talk about how unfair it is to the kids, I might lose my mind. Literally. Do these people not understand that the NBA is trying to maximize its earning potential? And hasn't anyone realized that it simply means staying up late for a maximum of 7 nights out of 365 days in a year (366 this year)? You mean to tell me that kids haven't stayed up late for other, more ridiculous reasons? What about all those times they wet the bed and then have to stand there next to the bed while you tear off all the sheets, put them in the washing machine and remake the bed with clean sheets? You mean to tell me they got a good night's sleep all those nights? At least this is something they WANT to stay awake for.

Listen, the weather is warm, it's the end of the school year, summer is just around the corner and Boston is watching its 3rd pro sports team play in the finals in less than a year. No one should be complaining.

So while everyone else is whining, I'm simply wondering whether or not tonight will be the night that I, personally, am able to stay awake for an entire Celtics game for the first time in my life (without actually being at the game). This is a sign I'm getting old, I know. But please don't confuse my wondering with everyone else's whining. I have no problem admitting that I have fallen asleep for each and every one of the playoff games so far. And I'm fine with that. I don't claim to be a Superfan. Just like I stayed up to watch the Kooks on Monday night, I plan to stay awake to watch a Celtics playoff game when it actually matters (by my definition, that's when one team is about to win its 4th game). Until then, I will do my best to stay awake, but I can't make any promises. And here's why...

Just the other night I was home alone and I sat down to watch Game 3 by myself. After 5 minutes, I realized that I hadn't even been paying attention to the game, which is strange because I was staring at the TV for those 5 minutes. What was I doing during that time? I honestly have no idea, but I DO know that my lack of attention has nothing to do with a lack of understanding. Basketball is one of the easier sports to follow (and I MAY have hit the parquet, myself, back in the day for the Town Rec Department).

I guess, just like anything else, my opinion has changed. The Celtics playing in the finals has made me realize that I just don't LOVE basketball. Add that to the list with football.

It's no surprise that baseball is, by far, my favorite professional sport. But the truth is, I will watch ANY sport if it means hanging out and having a good time with friends and family. Case in point: I have despised soccer since I was in kindergarten. Half way through our first game, I ran off the field to tell my mother that I was quitting. Yet, 23 years later (2 years ago), I find myself at a bar in the North End watching every second of the World Cup finals and having the time of my life. If only we didn't have to wait 4 years for every World Cup!

When I was younger (in high school and college), I was a Superfan of Boston sports, in general. I've gone through phases that have included obsessions with Dwight Evans, Don Sweeney, Tim Naehring, Drew Bledsoe and Nomar Garciaparra, just to name a few. I was an avid fan of Sportscenter and WEEI and, for a girl, was actually fairly knowledgeable about sports (specifically baseball).

Part of the reason this Superfan behavior manifested itself was because I wanted the boys to think I was cool. I think it worked, at least for a short period of time. As I've grown older, I've played witness to the growing number of "pink hats" and female sportscasters in the professional sports world. Call me sexest, but I just can't find it in me to take them seriously - no matter how knowledgeable they are. This realization has helped me put an end to my own charades. No longer do I feel the need to be overly knowledgeable about sports, just to impress. This doesn't mean that I am no longer knowledgeable about sports; it just means that I've chosen to reveal fewer thoughts and opinions around sports. After all, I don't aspire to be the next Tina Cervasio or Heidi Watney; they annoy people more than they inform people.

Tonight, I am watching the Celtics by myself again. So, excuse me while I go fall asleep during the game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd tag those two chicks.