Friday, October 10, 2008

At least I'm not waking up to Sonny & Cher every morning...


Every year, as the summer winds down, I try to convince myself that “it will be good to get back into a routine.” Then, 6 weeks into the school year, I remember just how sucky this routine is.

Lately I’ve been feeling like Bill Murray in the movie Groundhog Day. Not that my days are bad, but, as I wake up, shower, feed the dog, dry my hair, and put on mascara, all I can think is, “Didn’t I JUST do this?”

Some mornings I find myself looking in the mirror, contemplating how much money I'd pay to have someone do my hair and makeup every morning. It’s not that any of this takes a long time, it’s just that I would prefer to do it on my OWN time, like, you know, approximately 5 or 6 hours later.

On Monday mornings, I will jokingly say to Matt, “Is it Friday yet?” Along with the rest of the world, I wish every day could be Friday. In fact, Fridays just might beat out Saturdays as my favorite day of the week because the one routine that never gets old is the Friday routine.

From the moment I wake up on a Friday, everything feels differently. I never feel guilty setting the alarm a little later (or hitting the snooze button a few extra times). The iron doesn’t need turning on because WOO-HOO it’s JEANS day! Then there’s the “I’ll get there when I get there” attitude about arriving to work which means that for one morning of the week I don’t feel rushed. Much to Matt’s delight, I might even take Little Jerry for a walk just to take in this glorious Friday morning. And, although I make the same coffee in the same machine every day of the week, it always tastes a little more delicious on Friday morning.

The Friday work routine is also a little different. Colleagues seem happier and chattier, a 30-minute lunch can often turn into 60 minutes, there are fewer emails and phone calls waiting for me and even crises seem more manageable.

Then, there’s the Friday afternoon commute, which never seems to feel like a commute at all. Unless you have plans on a Friday night (which I typically do not), the Friday afternoon commute is surprisingly relaxing. It is the first time all week that I don’t feel like there’s something else I should be doing. Contractually, we can be out the door at 2:00 on a Friday, but, for some reason, I suddenly find myself taking my time wrapping up the workday. When I get into the car, I immediately open the sunroof, roll down the windows and turn up the stereo a little louder than normal. I carefully select songs that fit my mood and I take in every lyric, sometimes singing along, not caring what the person in the car next to me thinks about my performance. I am also not phased by traffic on Fridays. I stop for every pedestrian, I let other cars pull out in front of me and I don’t care that it may take me twice as long to get home. Because I know, when I get there, it will still be Friday, the start of the weekend.

There are only two commutes that top the Friday afternoon commute and they are the afternoon commute on the last day of school before Christmas vacation and the afternoon commute on the last day of the school year. Unfortunately, if you don't work in education, you may never experience this euphoria. Thankfully, Fridays come every week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another vote for Friday over Saturday. Have yourself a cookie at about 1:30. That will turn your ride home right around.

Gilly said...

I'd have to add the Wednesday before Thanksgiving as a wondrous commute, even though it's not literally a Friday, it IS the Friday for that week -- the short, get-nothing-done in-two-and-a-half-days week. It counts. Really.

Anonymous said...

30 minute lunch turning into a 60 minute lunch?!? Sounds like someone who works in guidance...

Big G said...

Friday is the best day of the week. Frequently, I hear thirtyish people "complain" about Friday (maybe my rant helped you appreciate the greatness of Fridays Gees?) and how they are so "tired." I hate (because hate is what I do best) this!

You have to make Friday happen! It's easy to let it slip away, but you can't because really, you only have two weekend days and Saturdays can often be filled with suburbanites looking for a night out and over hyped plans that end with disappointment.

But Friday?

Friday always seems to "come together," whether with post work drinks or a group of people making it happen. Lately on Fridays, I have liked the gym trip, followed by dinner and then seeing where it goes from there. But the point is, with only two precious days a week, you have to MAKE Friday happen. Don't go home and watch TV and sleep!!! Isn't that what we do every Monday-Thursday?!?

So yes, I love Fridays too Gees... Nice post... Although, about that 60 minute lunch... Unlike other guidance counselors I know, at least you admit you HAVE a racket!

MJ said...

Wednesday before T-day is also awesome...I also forgot to mention how awesome it is to stop and get a coffee on the way home from work on Friday...I don't usually drink an afternoon coffee so it's anice little treat and it helps you make the most of your Friday.

And just so you know, Big G, I didn't get a lunch at all yesterday so it does even out over time! I wish I could do the after work drinks on Friday, but the gym is a priority.